People will spend hours on their workouts in their attempt to achieve cut abs (remember… Abs Are Made In De Kitchen, Not In De Gym), yet only few are able to achieve the goal … and these specific exercises help tremendously make it a reality for them as the right ab exercises & strategies make all the difference.
Here’s your 6 pack of core exercises to get your 6 pack abs in time for Carnival:
Possibly the most effective ab exercises ever as it engages all areas of the abs at different points – doing this super slow is the true killer
- Lie on your back flat with your shoulders against the ground and your feet flat on the ground with knees folded.
- Put your hands on your ears or behind your head (but don’t pull on your head ever), both elbows pointing forward towards your feet, and raise your right elbow to touch your left knee, your right leg should be fully extended and above the ground about 10 cm.
- Repeat the same procedure on the alternate side to complete one rep of the exercise routine (I like to do sets of 30 – work your way up & do 3 sets
- To make this truly effective, hold your pose for at least two seconds at the point where each elbow meets the alternate knee for a more intense abdominal burn.
Targeting your lower abs & obliques
- Lay on your back with arms and legs spread angled in a big X shape.
- To complete each rep, raise one arm and cross that arm towards the alternate foot with the aim of touching the toe/ankle while also raising your foot with both fingers and toe/ankle meeting in the middle.
- Repeat the movement on the alternate side to complete a repetition (3 sets of 20 reps)
STABILITY BALL ROLL-OUT
Similar to using an ab wheel roller, yet slightly safer with less engagement of your lower back & I do what I can to avoid injuring meh back when lifting (save it for de road)
- While kneeling (preferably on a padded mat), clasp your hands like praying position on a stability ball and put your weight on it. Slowly roll the ball away from your body and roll it back toward the body to complete one rep. (3 sets of 20 reps)
TRADITIONAL TO SPIDERMAN PLANKS
The perfect pose for this great abs workout starts in a traditional plank position that involves having your forearms flat on the ground, your body held up away from the ground – essentially a push-up position – you want to clench your glutes, quads, abs – truly be stiff as a board and your feet held together with your weight up on your toes.
- Hold your body in traditional plank position for 30 seconds – then start spiderman move without a rest
- Slowly bring your left knee forward to touch your left elbow, drop it back to its starting position and repeat the same procedure for your right knee = 1 rep.(20 reps = 1 set) – do 3 sets of 30 second traditional plank holds followed by 20 reps of spiderman planks
This is primarily about your obliques yet also engages your upper abs while maintaining the V position of the movement.
• Lie down on the floor placing your feet either under something that will not
move or by having a partner hold them. Your legs should be bent at
the knees. You can vary this exercise by lifting them and holding them
similar to a crunch (but you won’t be able to do as much weight with feet
not being secured.
• Elevate your upper body so that it creates an imaginary V-shape with your
thighs. Your arms should be fully extended in front of you
perpendicular to your torso and with the hands clasped – or to intensify it
add weight – if you’re at home this could be hold the heaviest cans you
have, an encyclopedia (do people still have those?), a baby, a kettle bell.
If you’re at the gym keep working your way up 25 lb plate, 45 lb plate,
2– 45 lb plates together.
• Twist your torso to the right side until your arms are parallel with the floor
(remember to breath out as you rotate) & repeat to the left side – going to
both sides counts as 1 rep (3 sets of 20 reps)
This is about counterbalance – as badly as you want abs, you need a strong lower back to balance out/support your core
• To begin, lie straight and face down on your belly. Your arms should be fully
extended in front of you. This is the starting position.
• Simultaneously raise your arms, legs, and chest off of the floor and hold this
contraction for 30 seconds (you should look like superman flying). 3 sets
and you’re good to go.
Stick to it. If you mix this in every other day for the next 30 days you’ll be well on your way to the sexy abs your want to see in all of your pictures in fetes or on de road.
‘Til next time …. Celebrate Life & Soca to de World